At Geeks on Repair, we see all sorts of viruses come through our shop. While we gladly help our customers with virus removal services, we also always try to educate them on how to prevent viruses from infecting their PCs in the first place.
Below, we have provided 5 very simple and smart ways to prevent viruses from taking refuge in your system. As a starting note, we also want you to note the difference between malware and a virus.
What is a Computer Virus?
- A virus can best be described as malicious computer software that copies itself into your computer and infects it. Viruses can easily be transferred to your system through local private/public networks, the internet, or through a USB/external hard drive.
Here at Geeks on Repair, we have dealt with so many virus removal jobs where the virus was actually hidden in the customer’s flash drive the whole time. As soon as we cleaned their system and they went home, the virus would come back when they connected their flash drive.
What is Malware?
- Malware is a program that is made to deny operation on a system. It can also gather information from a system, or gain access to crucial system resources.
Malware is a very tricky program that takes extra effort to remove. Typical anti-virus programs do not have the right tools to detect and remove malware, so it is very important that you do everything in your power to prevent it from infecting your system.
5 Smart Ways to Prevent Viruses From Infecting Your Computer
Here are some ways you can prevent viruses and malware from infecting your system.
Keep Windows Up to Date
- Since Microsoft Windows is susceptible to viruses and malware more than most other operating systems, it is important to keep it updated. I know how annoying it is to see an ‘update’ window popup every time you turn your system on, but it is important to let it do its thing.
Many of the updates released by Microsoft for Windows 7,8 and 10 include crucial security patches that fill security loopholes in the system. And not to mention, viruses keep evolving, so the team at Microsoft has to keep updating the system to fight back new and complex viruses.
Use Only One Anti-Virus Program
- We’ve met a lot of customers in our shop that has multiple anti-virus programs running on their computer. While it may seem that having multiple anti-virus software is a good defense against viruses, unfortunately, it’s not.
Anti-virus programs have special instances running in the background that check every new thing being added to the system. From the pictures to the music and video files, whenever something is added to the system, the anti-virus program checks it before it is added.
- When multiple such programs are running in the background, they can start to interfere with each other which can be taxing for your system resources. So in other words, stick to a single program and keep it updated at all times.
Scan Email Attachments
- A lot of people get their systems infected via scam emails. Hackers send scam emails with clever email addresses that convince the user to download attachments from the email or click on malicious links.
With a good anti-virus program, you can easily scan email attachments and protect your computer from being infected.
Get Malware Scanner
- Malware scanners are different from anti-virus programs and you should at least have one of them running in the background. Since anti-virus software can’t detect and remove malware, your only hope of getting rid of one is by using the anti-malware program.
The good thing is that most anti-malware software is free to use, so don’t hesitate to have one on your system.
Use a Trusted Browser
There are many internet browsers out there and you should choose the one that provides the best security features. We recommend using Google Chrome or Firefox for most of your browsing needs.
Get Professional Virus Removal Services Today
- If a virus or malware has infected your system and you are unable to remove it, get in touch with Geeks on Repair today. Our goal is always our customer’s satisfaction. Maintaining a safe virus free environment for both our customers and our customer’s computers is a priority.
Finding a proper computer repair place for virus removal services isn’t easy by any means, but it is certainly achievable. Just remember the next time you’re looking up “computer repair near me”, you’re following these sound tips to find the best service advice possible.
- Remember, you never have to settle for mediocre service. Great computer repair technicians are out there, you just have to know how and where to look.
Are you still having trouble finding a reputable service technician? Here at Geeks On Repair, we are happy to help by answering any and all of your service-related questions. Feel free to give us a call at 1-(800) 674-9418 or visit our online portal.